How much sleep?

Always knew I needed more sleep. Found this article which was posted on Twitter by Dan Pink. When I read it I thought, Yes. Finally confirmation as to what I have always felt I need more sleep. You probably need more sleep too. 


What this means to athletes is maybe not as clear but there would be a point at which when training the amount of sleep needed increases. And even the afternoon nap is very helpful. On camp earlier this year I recall being tired a couple of times and having an hour nap in the afternoon before the final session for the day. I know with my kids they need 12 hrs or else we start to see over a few days it catches up with them. 


Water is another one I feel is key also. Being dehydrated means you feel sluggish and yet often we counter it by food an in particular sugar. Anyway more about water some other time. For now lets talk sleep...

MAGAZINE
How Little Sleep Can You Get Away With?
By MAGGIE JONES
Published: April 15, 2011
For most of us, eight hours of sleep is excellent and six hours is no good, but what if we split the difference?

Comments

Gavin said…
An afternoon nap is an excellent idea because you get a double spike of Growth Hormone.

GH helps you recover from the exertions of your training, repair any damage that is done and a whole host of other good factors.

Kids need the sleep because they are doing more growing than us.