What's the bet?

When asked, ‘should I put my house on you?’ what should I and could I say? It is a funny period when people around us ask for some information, some insight, some indicator of where we are at, what will happen. Who the heck knows anyway. I don’t know what’s going to happen in the next hour so how can I predict the coming days. No big deal though just thought it interesting* that with every question of, ‘how you going? how you going to go? I find it amusing, comical, but not negative, just part of the process. So back to what would you say...when some one says should I put my house on you?

Personally I am not a betting man, never real been one to gamble. I love taking risks but to gamble or bet on something like this seems a waste. No is the time for complete investment of body, mind and spirit. For with out full energy, focus and presence it would be easy to simply slip off into the abyss. Lost for ever to the great opportunity that is, competing for your country. Would I recommend someone wagering there assets on the outcome being in a favor. Only if I did like them. Would I put my own house on it? I have, plus my life, and the life of my family and all that we are about. Sounds a bit dramatic and so it should, this is the Olympic games. We have not come here to loose anything and we have done everything that we could imaging to prepare. What is there to loose though, really? Nothing. I will be the same person, won’t I?

Give or take a few perceptions, plus or minus a few ideas, and really I will be the same, surely? Ok so what does it all mean? I mean I know it’s big, important and I know what is required, or at least what has been required on a couple of days gone by. Obviously over the years I have grown and developed and certainly past games have mark certain milestone’s in my life. Sure I know this will be a culmination of all that and every thing that we can bring to this moment, but I still ask how much will I or it change?

I guess here I have intwined and mixed the questions of what will happen from this time forward. The outcomes of not only our event, our sport, and other events and sports will be know soon. The outcome of this whole spectacle may be know soon, but then it may take longer. One thing is for sure a few great thing will occur. Many athletes will live up to expectation and some will shine brightly and lead us all. That is the unchanging nature of the games, that would be a worthwhile bet. Will we see greatness? Yes. With it may also come the ugly side, but we have to understand that it is like night and day. We know one because of the other. This I am more sure of and as I type away here I know that that is clear for me.

On a note of what it is really like here I have to say it is amazing to see the variety of athlete and faces of many who we often watch on TV. I am no different to most and like many athlete we all understand and appreciate the best of the best when the are around. It is humbling and a great thing to see the equality and respect.

As for us well we have our team function tonight with all the Australians where the flag bearer will be announced. I would love for James to be honored with this and as a 42 year old athlete who acts 20 he really does epitomises the Olympic spirit.

Tomorrow night is the open ceremony and then we begin. We won’t be going in the ceremony but will enjoy watching it on TV. Saturday we start racing and as such the first roll of the dice will be made. Not that I am betting, but it is a game so guess you have to have your turn. So come Saturday we will be lining up and ready to see what’s possible.

Comments