News: British rower turning to cycling

This article was sent to me today and I thought it would be great to mention it here. The article is titled: Romero is starting in just the right position By James Cracknell.

I want to make a few comments about this because it is a strong message to our sport and more importantly to systems and coaches who create these types of disillusionment. When will it be understood that we are not machines? Taking the approach of one shoes fits all is lazy and lacks sophistication. When I say this I am not speaking of any particular system or coach. Over the years I have seen programs that just don't take into account individual needs and as such miss the opportunity to optimise an individuals abilities. Now obviously in rowing most of what we do is in crew boats, but we still require different training to a certain degree. I would like to say congratulation to the Romero for having the courage to follow her heart. She has obvious talent and by being true to her self she will ensure the best opportunity for success in the future. In Australia recently we have seen a number of talented athletes turn to cycling and so we know there is a great potential for cross over. The reasons for the changes need to be understood, particularly if they had a passion for the sport, but feelings of disillusionment and frustration with the system they operated in have lead to the change. Have they stopped loving the sport of rowing or has their love and passion been extinguished by factors that should be improved?

Comments

Anonymous said…
So Drew, how do you maintain your enthusiasm? Having reached the pinnacle of rowing, how are you motivated to accept the challenge again? Surely another Olympic medal will have less significance than the first? I'm interested in your thoughts.
rudderfish said…
Well I must say that each preparation has been significantly different and I guess this phase has been quiet different to Atlanta and Athens. Having experience the highs and lows of games success and failure to make the start line I am very aware that the opportunity to compete and perform on the Olympic stage is one that in is rare. What motivates more now is the wonderful sensation how the rowing stroke feels when the rhythm and harmony come together. The medal as such does not interest me all that much, but I love the challenge of working in a team over a number of years and exploring how we refine our approach. Creating the opportunity to have the perfect race is certainly a central focus and the joy of mastering the movement is energising. If I am not trying different things that will assist making the boat go faster I get bored, I enjoy working on a number of fronts and with many people to find ways to improve and that motivates me. Thanks for the question.