Australian Rowing Championships

Well I am about to head off to the Australian Rowing Championships where I will compete in the pair, four and our State eight. What I will intend to do is record the various experiences I have with each boat and hopefully a few good result too.

How am I feeling now?
Fairly relaxed about it all, but I am very aware of how other crew will be keen to get a win over us this week. It is almost like we will have a big target painted on our backs. After the last two weeks I know my health has not been the best, but feel I have recovered pretty well. The training over the last few days has gone well so there are no excuses. My perception of how Duncan is prepared is that I am probably going to have my work cut out for me just keep the boat straight from the bow seat. Should be fun and we will get our first chance to race the four together. It's time to see if it has any potential, not that I am a fan of that word. We have to be our greatest critics of performance and so when the week winds up, we will have a better sense of the possibilities of the pair, four and even eight going forward.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Drew,
Are you able to share any of the results of your hull testing? I've rowed the filippi, sykes, and hudson fairly extensively - I'm curious what your impressions were.
Anonymous said…
Drew, you state 'My perception of how Duncan is prepared is that I am probably going to have my work cut out for me just keep the boat straight from the bow seat'. Why do you think I never rowed a Pair with that Duncan Free guy? My theory on a straight boat with Dunc in it is to stick to a Double Scull. Worked for me!!! Marcus.
Anonymous said…
Go get 'em Drew, best of luck for the forthcoming races.

Michael.
rudderfish said…
First I will post some further impressions of the boats soon once we make our final decisions.

Second the double probably would be the easiest way to ensure I don't get pulled around, but years ago I learnt that my sculliing was not world class. Need to finish races more frequently to change that thinking.
Anonymous said…
Drew. You've got to let go. That sculling race you are referring to was 10 years ago in Tassie. I remember it well. Reggie and I were standing there on the bank. Marcus
rudderfish said…
Not sure if I am older or wise, but I do seem to be able to finish races a little better these days. Thanks Marcus